Daniel O’Donnell Explains Decision to Take Extended Break and Opens Up About Health
DUBLIN — Beloved Irish country music star Daniel O’Donnell has revealed he will take an extended break from touring after 2025, citing ongoing health challenges. The Donegal-born singer, however, stressed that the move is not a retirement, but a chance to “recharge” after years of demanding schedules.
O’Donnell, 62, confirmed earlier this week that he plans to complete all his scheduled concerts through the end of 2025 — including shows in Ireland, the UK, and the United States — before stepping back.
“I’ve been fine doing the recent shows and I intend to complete all the shows that are currently booked up to the end of this year,” O’Donnell said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to them, but I just felt that I needed to take a break and recharge my batteries after this year.”
Health Concerns
The singer explained that while he is in “otherwise perfect health,” recurring chest issues have made touring increasingly difficult.
“For the past number of years I’ve had frequent chest issues, which wouldn’t have bothered me if I wasn’t singing,” he told the Sunday World. “Loads of people have what I have and it doesn’t bother them one bit. I function absolutely perfectly with the issues as well. But because I’m singing it’s more difficult.”
O’Donnell emphasized that his decision was not prompted by serious illness, but rather by the physical toll of constant travel and performances. “I haven’t made this decision because of ill-health or anything,” he said. “It’s because I just feel that the continuous touring is not suiting me now and I need to figure out what to do.”
Slowing Down — But Not Retiring
The star, who has been a fixture of Irish music for more than four decades, reassured fans that he has no intention of leaving the stage for good.
“People are asking me all the time, ‘Are you ever going to retire?’ I would say, ‘Well I’m going to slow down’…and I did slow down, but just not enough,” he admitted. “I started two weeks ago on this tour and this is the 11th show today — and that’s too much. I find that performing night after night after night is not suiting me now.”
O’Donnell added that he will use the break to determine what kind of touring schedule best suits his health and lifestyle going forward. “After this year I’ll figure out what works best for me doing the shows. But I’m certainly not retiring.”
A Legacy of Dedication
The announcement has prompted an outpouring of support from fans, many of whom have followed O’Donnell since the 1980s. Known for his warm stage presence and tireless dedication, he has built a reputation as one of Ireland’s most enduring performers.
His upcoming shows are now being seen as particularly poignant opportunities for fans to see him before the extended break.
For O’Donnell, the pause is not an ending but a step toward balance. “This is just about slowing down,” he said. “I still love to sing and to perform — but I also know it’s time to take care of myself.”